Grade 8 Math
In grade 8, students will continue to build on those concepts from grade 7 and set the foundations required in their upcoming high school math courses. The use of proportional reasoning as well as linear relationships (algebra) will be a focus throughout. The following is the tentative order in which the concepts will be investigated in our class. Click on the concepts to visit a more detailed page outlining the big ideas, learning goals, curriculum expectations, and online links.
TERM ONE (September to February)
- Primes and Powers (NS/N)
- Integers (NS/N)
- Data in Histograms and Scatterplots (DM/P)
- Representing Linear Patterns (P/A)
- Algebraic Equations and Relationships (P/A)
TERM TWO (February to June)
- Circles and Cylinders (M)
- Angle Relationships and the Pythagorean Theorem (G/SS)
- Operations involving Fractions (NS/N)
- Rate, Ratio, and Percents (NS/N)
- Probability and Odds (DM/P)
- Transformational Geometry (G/SS)
To view the entire grade 8 curriculum, click HERE.