Happy New Year! I am hoping that everyone had a relaxing and rejuvenating break and are looking forward to getting back to school. I know I am!
Since we worked so hard to finish up our units in the final weeks of December, we will be starting new topics on Monday in all subjects except science.
Here is a rundown of some upcoming events and deadlines that are coming up:
- January 9 = Check In: Lines and Angles (math)
- January 13-17 = Jungle Sport in Phys Ed class
- January 14 = Descriptive Writing Task DUE (English)
- January 15 = London Bridge Activity DUE (science)
- January 15 = SWYK: Geometric Constructions (math)
- January 17 = Graffiti Characterisation Task DUE (English)
- January 21 = Seven Unique Triangles Task DUE (math)
- January 22 = Form and Function Unit Test (science)
- January 23 = SWYK: Triangles and Quadrilaterals (math)
- January 24 = Short Story Draft DUE (English)
- January 27 = Short Story Test (English)
- January 29 = Cardboard Chair Blueprints DUE (science)
- January 29 = Escher Art DUE (math)
- January 30 = Cardboard Chair Prototype DUE (science)
- January 31 = PD Day (no classes)
For the month of January, we will be completing our final strand for term one: Geometry and Spatial Sense. This unit will focus on lines and angles, geometric constructions (using a compass), classifying and constructing triangles and quadrilaterals, coordinates, and tiling and tessellations. A workspace filled with helpful online practice and additional resources has been created to help students reinforce and clarify concepts. Students can access the workspace HERE. For the upcoming week, we will be focusing on geometry terminology as well as reviewing lines and angles.
This month, our focus is on short stories. We will be digging into the components of short stories, including plot curves, looking at descriptive language, and ensuring that we are choosing the most appropriate words to tell our stories.
We will be discussing relationships we have with our friends, family members, and within the online community.
We will continue our unit on Form and Function. Before the break, we were focusing on the technical aspects of structures including centre of gravity and balance, loads and forces and types of structures. In January, we will be looking into specific designs used in structures to support these loads. Students can check out Goal #4 on the Form and Functions page for some additional resources to help support their learning at home.
For school-wide announcements, check out the Trinity weekly newsletter HERE.