“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…” WHAT?! A reminder that this week is Halloween (not Christmas) Spirit Week.
Halloween Spirit Week:
- MONDAY = Canada D’eh (So your Canadian Pride)
- TUESDAY = Crocs and Crazy Socks Day
- WEDNESDAY = Halloween! (Wear your costume – no masks please)
- THURSDAY = Comfy Cozy Day (dress for some rest)
- FRIDAY = Superfan Friday
In addition to spirit week, there are lots of other things happening in our school. Here is a list of events and test/due dates for the upcoming weeks:
- October 29 – Check In (Adding Integers)
- October 29 – All Stock Market Data DUE (should be in online doc)
- October 31 – Charity Cake Auction
- October 31 – Halloween Costume Contest and Dance (Periods 5 and 6)
- November 1 – Progress Report Cards Issued
- November 2 – Stock Market Portfolio DUE
- November 6 – SWYK (Adding and Subtracting Integers) – updated
- November 7 – Ottawa 67s Game!
Grade 7 Math
We are entering our third (and final) week of the integers unit. Last week, our focus was on adding integers. On Monday, students will be writing a quick formative “check-in” on adding so that I can ensure they are demonstrating a basic understanding before we move on. Also on Monday, we will be discussing the final components of the Stock Market Project. Students NEED to have all of their stock data tables completed before Monday’s class as we will be learning how to create graphs using google sheets. Stock Market Portfolios will be due at the end of the day on Friday.
Our curriculum focus this week is on Subtracting Integers. We will be working on this concept in class on Tuesday and Thursday and then reviewing both adding and subtracting on Friday is preparation for our final SWYK next Monday (November 5). There are THREE new MathSpace tasks on Adding and Subtracting Integers that are being released today. Also, students looking for some additional reinforcement can check out the following links on subtracting integers:
- VIDEO: Adding and Subtracting Integers (Source: Math Antics)
- VIDEO: Subtracting Negative Numbers (Source: Khan Academy)
- VIDEO: Adding and Subtracting Negative Numbers (Source: Khan Academy)
- VIDEO: Negative Number Word Problems (Source: Khan Academy)
- QUIZ: Using Counters to Subtract Integers (Source: Nelson Education)
- QUIZ: Using Number Lines to Subtract Integers (Source: Nelson Education)
- QUIZ: Relating Integer Subtraction to Addition (Source: Nelson Education)
- QUIZ: Solving Problems by Working Backwards (Source: Nelson Education)
Grade 7 Science
With the completion of our mid-unit tests last week (all assessments are being sent home on Tuesday for parents to see), we are now into the second half of our ecosystems unit. This portion is focused on feeding relationships (food webs). Students are HIGHLY encouraged to review the following material in preparation for our discussions this week:
- TEXTBOOK: Roles of Organisms in an Ecosystem
- TEXTBOOK: Food Chains and Webs
- VIDEO: What is a consumer?
- VIDEO Herbivores, Omnivores, and Carnivores
- VIDEO: Food Webs
A reminder that progress reports are being distributed this Thursday. Parent-teacher interviews will be held on November 22.
For more school-wide news, check out the Weekly Trinity Newsletter HERE.