What’s up this Week (Sept 17-21)
Thanks to all of the families that were able to make it out to the “Meet the Teacher” evening last week – it was a pleasure to meet you and I look forward to working with you throughout the year.
As our gorgeous weather continues, students are reminded to drink frequently throughout the day. They are welcome to bring a bottle of water to class. This week includes school picture day and our Terry Fox run. Check out all of the important upcoming dates below:
- September 20 – School Photo Day (7-12)
- September 21 – Terry Fox Run
- September 24 – SWYK: Factors, Primes and Composites (math)
- October 1 – SWYK: Powers, Squares and Roots (math)
- October 3 – Opening Liturgies (7-12)
- October 4 – SWYK: Order of Operations (math)
- October 5 – PA Day – Christian Community Day (7-12)
- October 8 – Thanksgiving – Statutory Holiday
Grade 7 Math
Our focus on divisibility will continue this week as we explore factors, GCF, and prime and composite numbers. New Mathspace tasks on these two topics will be released Sunday night at 9 pm. Students will have the week to complete the online tasks. A reminder that Mathspace also has fantastic lessons and extra practice sets and helpful videos for students to use to help reinforce the content discussed in class.
Students looking to get a jump on some of the topics for the upcoming week are invited to check out some of the online resources below:
- VIDEO: Factoring (Source: Math Antics)
- VIDEO: Finding Factors of a Number (Source: Khan Academy)
- VIDEO: Finding Greatest Common Factor (Source: Khan Academy)
- QUIZ: Common Factors and Multiples (Source: Nelson Education)
- GAME: Factors and Multiples Game (Source: NRICH)
- VIDEO: Prime Numbers (Source: Khan Academy)
- VIDEO: Recognizing Prime and Composite Numbers (Source: Khan Academy)
- QUIZ: Identifying Primes (Source: ThatQuiz)
- QUIZ: Identifying Factors, Primes and Composites (Source: Nelson Education)
Next Monday (September 24), students will be writing a SWYK (Show What You Know) on Multiples, Factors, and Prime Numbers. In fact, in an effort to wrap up Unit #1 (Number Theory) before Thanksgiving weekend, all summative assessment have now been posted on the calendar.
Grade 7 Science
This week we will be starting our first unit: Interactions within Ecosystems. Our focus for the upcoming classes will be on the abiotic and biotic factors that make up an ecosystem. Students are encouraged to do some reading ahead of time in order to prepare. They are invited to check out the following resources at some point this week to help reinforce our investigations in class:
- VIDEO: Abiotic versus Biotic Factors
- VIDEO: Relationship between Abiotic and Biotic Factors
- TEXTBOOK: The Needs of Living Things
- PRACTICE: Sorting Abiotic and Biotic Things
- QUIZ: Abiotic and Biotic Factors
Terry Fox Run
The Terry Fox day is a BIG deal at Holy Trinity. Every year our school raises approximately $40 000 (last year we were the 4th largest fundraiser in the province). This year we are shooting for a similar goal – click HERE to visit our school’s donation page. The route is approximately 7.3 kilometres and students and staff will be running (or walking) the route this coming Friday. Each homeroom is planning their own theme so ask your child if there is anything special that they need to wear/bring to participate in the spirit of Terry Fox.
Trinity Board Game Club
Do you like playing board games? Join us every Monday after school in the Learning Commons starting September 24 (2:15 to 3:00 p.m.). We have several games but you are welcome to bring your own.
Holy Trinity School Council Facebook Page
A Facebook page has been created by our school’s council to keep parents, students and our community up to date on news and events going on at the school. You can join the group by going to this page: https://www.facebook.com/holytrinitycatholicschoolkanata/ or by searching ‘Holy Trinity Catholic School Council’ on Facebook.
There are LOTS of sports happening now at our school – if students are interested in practice/tryout times and dates they need to consult the tryout board in the gym.
For more general school-wide news, please check the written announcements HERE.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!